- YOU didn’t ask to be put here
- YOU haven’t asked for the trouble you have faced, or will face, while you are here
- YOU don’t even know when or how you are going to get out of here!
The following are the three biggest questions the human soul needs to answer:
1) WHY AM I HERE?
According to the Bible, we were created to have a relationship with God through Jesus.
Genesis 1:27 "So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them." Genesis 2:7 "...then the LORD God formed the man of dust from the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living creature."
The Bad News: BECAUSE OF OUR SIN, WE ARE SEPARATED FROM GOD.
- We are sinners by nature and by choice. Romans 3:23 "...for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God..."
- We cannot save ourselves. Ephesians 2:8-9 "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God--not by works, so that no one can boast."
- We deserve death and hell. Romans 6:23 "For the wages of sin is death..."
The Great News: THROUGH REPENTING OF OUR SIN & PUTTING OUR FAITH IN CHRIST, WE CAN HAVE A RELATIONSHIP WIH GOD AND THE FORGIVENESS OF OUR SIN...and we can stand "not guilty" before God.
- We can receive eternal life as a free gift. Romans 6:23 "For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord."
- We can have a full and meaningful life right now. John 10:10 “The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly."
- We will spend eternity with Jesus in heaven. John 14:3 “And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also."
Jesus did the work and earned our salvation on the cross.
- Jesus is God and became man. John 1:1 “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." John 1:14 "And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.”
- Jesus died for us on the cross. 1 Peter 3:18 “For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive in the spirit..."
- Jesus was resurrected from the dead. Romans 4:25 “…who was delivered up for our trespasses and raised for our justification.”
- Jesus gives us the right to become children of God. John 1:12 “But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God."
2) WHAT IS MY PURPOSE?
Where God has a purpose, He has a plan. He has general and specific purposes for you to fulfill while you are on this earth.
Psalm 139:15-16 David says, "My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed [purposed] for me, when as yet there was none of them."
Jeremiah 29:11 "'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
Ephesians 2:8-10 "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God--not by works, so that no one can boast. For we are God's handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do."
3. WHAT WILL HAPPEN WHEN I DIE?
- To Those Who Reject The Gift Of Salvation: Matthew 7:21-23 "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?' Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'" Eternally separated from God.
- To Those Who Receive The Gift Of Salvation: Romans 5:1-2 "Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we boast in the hope of the glory of God."
Receiving the gift of Salvation:
We must repent of our sin. (Acts 2:38)
- Repentance is not just feeling sorry for our sin (Acts 26:20).
- Repentance is turning away from sin and turning to God through Jesus.
We must place our faith in Jesus (Ephesians 2:8)
- Faith is not just believing facts about Jesus (James 2:19).
- Faith is trusting in Jesus.
We must surrender to Jesus as Lord (Romans 10:9-10).
- Surrendering to Jesus as Lord is not just saying we give our lives to Jesus (Matthew 7:21).
- Surrendering to Jesus as Lord is giving Jesus control of our lives. “Driving the car” Transition: As evidence of giving Jesus control, we will want to identify with him. The New Testament way is to confess Jesus publicly and follow him in baptism and church membership.
Leading to a Commitment:
A. Commitment Questions
- Does this make sense to you?
- Is there any reason why you would not be willing to receive God’s gift of eternal life?
- Are you willing to turn from your sin and place your faith in Jesus right now?
B. Clarification. To receive Jesus, you must:
- Repent of your sin.
- Place your faith in Jesus.
- Surrender to Jesus as Lord.
- Prayer for Understanding
- Prayer of Commitment
- Prayer of Thanksgiving